Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mont Pelier and Monticello

Our next trip was to Mont Pelier (home of James Madison) and Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson). They were about 2 hours away and well worth the drive!

Monticello - Thomas Jefferson's Home

The area was so beautiful and the house was amazing (it's on the back of a nickle for a reason)! It was full of some of Jefferson's neat inventions and collections, french design, and very big and modern for their time. It was gorgeous!


Mont Pelier - James Madison's Home
I learned a lot about James Madison and his wife Dolly from this tour. He was the "Father" of the Constitution. He created and presented the idea of the Constitution to the States.
Dolly was one of the most famous first ladies. She was influential in establishing the role of the first lady.
This little temple structure is where they stored ice to make ice-cream for their guests. Yummy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lie, when I heard you were moving to Virginia, I almost about died! I've wanted to see back there from a tiny girl, I'm so glad you got to see them! Even by today's standards they are amazing and gorgeous houses.

garcias said...

That is so great that you have been out seeing sights. There is so much history to see. Good luck getting it all in. Keep us posted, for those of us who have husbands in school here in Utah and can't come and visit!

Rachel said...

I think the DC area would be awesome to live near. I love history. Have you read or watched John Adams?. . . and Can I come visit?